People around the world are celebrating today as International Day of Sign Languages. Taxpayers who sign in American Sign Language can visit YouTube anytime to see IRS ASL videos. The IRS ASL Channel is one of three on YouTube. Each channel offers info about a wide range of tax topics.
All the videos on the ASL channel are presented by someone signing in ASL. Each video also includes audio and closed-captioning. The videos appear in several playlists sorted by topic. One of these playlists specifically highlights the services the IRS provides for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. There’s a series of videos in this playlist for ASL interpreters who need to learn appropriate tax terminology in ASL.
- Tax Tips – features videos on general tax topics to help people understand their tax responsibilities.
- ID Theft – includes videos about ID theft that help people recognize scams and know what to do if they think their identity was compromised or stolen.
- Small Business – videos to help business owners find out what tax credit, deduction and law changes may affect their business.
- IRS Tax Pros – playlist featuring videos for and about tax preparers.
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services: National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders
- NIDCD: American Sign Language